Friday, September 14, 2012

5 Books Every Woman Should Read Before 30...


I've noticed a lack of book lists lately, I don't know if we've all gotten caught in the mindsweep that is youth fiction novels lately (no offense, I love me some Hunger Games) or if we just aren't reading as much, as often as we used to. Whatever the reason, I've decided to put together an arsenal of 5 books, I think every woman should read before 30. If you have any good add-ons feel free to chime in. This list is tentative and growing, if you have a book (or a few) that changed you, share it in the comments below. I'd love to circulate this as a tag, actually I am making this a tag, if you read this, consider yourself tagged.


 Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs
This is one of those must reads for anyone with a dysfunctional family/childhood. I remember finishing this and flipping it back over to start again. The main character will become a member of your family by the end. I found myself wondering,: what became of young Augusten? Here is the kicker, IT'S A MEMOIR! Mind blown... the end!


CUNT: A Declaration of Independence by Inga Muscio
I could do a whole separate post on the genius that is Inga Muscio... CUNT came out the year I started high school, and it changed my young little world. If there was only on book I could encourage every woman to read from my list it would be this one. Don't be turned off by the title. I promise it's one of the most informative reads on issues including rape, abortion, our bodies, our sexuality, and gender inequality. Whatever side of the line you stand on, you'll be able to appreciate the brutally honest writing of Muscio.


Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neal Hurston
Junior year of college. First great women writers of the 20th century class. Cried during a discussion, 'nough said! If you are a fan of books like, "The Color Purple" or the "The Scarlett Letter" which finds that wonderful balance between historical relevance and the art of magnificent story telling, than this is your book! Its one of those meat-and-potatoes type of books that sticks to your ribs.

Blues for all the Changes by Nikki Giovanni
I cannot not have a book of poetry included. It just wouldn't be my list without it. Even if poetry isn't your thing, you'd probably like Nikki Giovanni. I mean, can you think of anyone cooler than her? I mean, the woman got "thug life" tattooed on her arm in memorium of Tupac Shakur! Giovanni's poetry traverses socioeconomic bounds while still captivating the soul of who we are; just people. She has a way of weaving words together with such tact and mystique, that you'll want to dive into all of her works. She just makes such an impact! I don't know how else to describe it.

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
This is probably on every list geared towards women, and is somewhat stereotypical, but I can't help but include it here! Its still so relevant. There is not a day I don't make reference to something that can be tied (loosely) back to this short story. It's rare something stays so relevant as it ages. This does it somehow. Written in 1892 but not much different from the experience of women born well after that date. It's a quick read but one you'll come back to time and time again.

I think maybe 5 books isn't enough, I feel like I have cut this list short, there is no Virginia Wolfe, Jane Austen, or Jack Kerouac and I didn't even break into the world of Sci-Fi/Fantasy. Yep, I said it!
...I told myself I'd do 5 and so 5 it is.


1 comment:

  1. This looks so interesting, I want to do this! I love to read! Such a unique and inspiring choice! love it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!